Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week 55 Chuva, Chuva, Chuva! (rain)

So this week was really exhausting.  It rained and rained and rained.
The flooding left a good number of families homeless. and caused all sorts of problems, streets are destroyed, mud everywhere, cobblestones in the street everywhere, the whole town just smells damp and like mildew, and all of this was on the national news here in Portugal and we were walking around in it trying to knock doors and go make some visits which was not easy and not super successful . We have been soaking wet all week long including our house got flooded and we had to spend several nights up super late cleaning water off of the ground and eventually we were so sick and tired and just exhausted from moping and toweling up water that we went to bed with our house still just full of water.  Plus with the crazy high humidity and the utter lack of dryers.  We have been super exhausted and it has been really tough to work this week because for one we were basically supposed to be staying inside because it was flooding and cars were crashing and all sorts of crazy stuff.  I sure was glad that I chose to bring my rain pants on my mission.

This week as we have been suffering I decided that the best way to keep me motivated to go out and get soaking wet, walk around in water in church shoes for the whole day was to read and study about the pioneers and the early struggles that they had physically in the church.  Reading books about all the struggles that they went though as they walked around in the snow all day long with nothing but rags on their feet for the same reason made me feel a need to not complain about our struggles risking trench  foot out here as the soldiers of the Lord, because at the end of the day I did get to take a hot shower and hop into a only damp bed to sleep for the night.  So I guess it was a humbling week, that really tested us a little with our resistance and drive to keep obedient and figure out how to work even when mother nature herself seemed to be fighting us.  We talked to a bunch of people and they said that it was the worst couple days of rain in the last 40 years and it still is yet to clear up all the way.

As far as my comp Elder McGraw he is a really fun guy and I have been
enjoying working with him.   He is very different from the rest of my
comps and it has been a nice change.  As I told you he was a cross country runner and could run a 4 and a half minute mile, so I was pretty excited to go run with him in the morning and we took off on the first day and I totally broke him on accident.  I didn't mean to make it that difficult of a run but he was definatly in pain for a good couple days haha.  Hopefully I will be smart enough to work him back into it so that I can get him out there running with me again.

We had a couple presidency meetings this week to get President Broderick up to speed on everything here in the branch. (that process was once again left to me basically alone) and it was interesting to get to see how his style and knowledge made the meetings different then the ones that we had with President Cabral.  I am loveing my chance to get to learn how to work with leaders and how to be a leader.  The mission really does get you ready for all sorts of things that I never would have expected in the past.

Com certeza nunca podemos sentir satisfeito até o dia que o Senhor recebe-nos nos braços dele e aceitar nossa vida e esforço todo de seguir a Ele.

Fátima foi confirmada está semana.  Tivemos uma semana cheia de tribulações e desafios de natureza com toda a chuva que recebemos mas ficávamos com bom animo e seguíamos sempre em frente.  Temos uma piscina de ensina um pouco vazio agora mas vamos lá e encontrar com os eleitos do Senhor se não estamos a ver progresso vamos para a próxima pessoa até encontramos com a pessoa que o Senhor precisa na Igreja
dele nesta momento.   Eu amo o oportunidade que temos para prestar
testemunho a muitos mesmo se eles aceitem ou não, porque com o espírito estamos a fazer nosso parte e vamos ser abençoados.

Fátima was confirmed yesterday and I was able to do the confirmation.
She was in tears afterwards when she stood up.  It was a really special experience and I love the work and when I get to be with such amazing examples like that wonderful woman. She was interviewed by Elder Broderick right after church and he was also very impressed with her and her resolve to keep all the Lord's commandments.  Now we are just needing to find more people like her. That is always the goal!

Com Amor
Elder Hobson

P.S. Elder McGraw is really good about taking pictures so he has more pics of me now then I have taken in my first two transfers here.
Kindof nice to have a private photagrapher walking behind me all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment